Higher Education Support Act 2003

Chapter 3 - Assistance to students  


Division 90 - Who is entitled to HECS-HELP assistance?  

SECTION 90-1   90-1   Entitlement to HECS-HELP assistance  

A student is entitled to *HECS-HELP assistance for a unit of study in which the student is enrolled with a higher education provider as part of a *course of study if:


the course of study is an *accredited course in relation to the provider; and

(a)  the student meets the citizenship or residency requirements under section 90-5 ; and

(b)  the *census date for the unit is on or after 1 January 2005; and


the student ' s *HELP balance is greater than zero; and

(c)  the student is a *Commonwealth supported student in relation to the unit; and

(d) (Repealed by No 104 of 2011)

(e)  the student:

(i) enrolled in the unit on or before the census date for the unit; and

(ii) at the end of the census date, remained so enrolled; and


the student *meets the tax file number requirements (see section 187-1 ); and


the student has, on or before the census date, completed, signed and given to an *appropriate officer of the provider a *request for Commonwealth assistance in relation to the unit or, where the course of study of which the unit forms a part is undertaken with the provider, in relation to the course of study.

For transitional provisions relating to paragraph (ba), see Part 2 of Schedule 3 to the Higher Education Support Legislation Amendment (Student Loan Sustainability) Act 2018 .

This information is provided by CCH Australia Limited Link opens in new window. View the disclaimer and notice of copyright.