Miscellaneous Taxation Ruling
MT 2008/2A3 - Addendum
Shortfall penalties: administrative penalty for taking a position that is not reasonably arguable
Please note that the PDF version is the authorised version of this ruling.View the consolidated version for this notice.
This Addendum is a public ruling for the purposes of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 (TAA). It amends Miscellaneous Taxation Ruling MT 2008/2 to recognise that the lack of reasonably arguable position shortfall penalty contained in Division 284 of Schedule 1 to the TAA applies to petroleum resource rent tax with effect from the 1 July 2012. This follows the amendments to the TAA made by Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2013 Measures No. 1) Act 2013.
After 'an income tax', insert ', petroleum resource rent tax law (PRRT)'
In the third dot point after 'MRRT'; insert 'and PRRT'.
Omit 'petroleum resource rent tax'; substitute 'PRRT'.
After paragraph 76A insert:
76B. PRRT law under section 995-1 of the ITAA 1997 means:
- the Petroleum Resource Rent Tax Assessment Act 1987;
- any Act that imposes PRRT;
- the TAA, so far as it relates to any Act covered by paragraphs (a) and (b);
- any other Act, so far as it relates to any Act covered by paragraphs (a) to (c) (or to so much of that Act as is covered); and
- regulations under an Act, so far as they relate to any Act covered by paragraphs (a) to (d) (or to so much of that Act as is covered).
PRRT Law 76B
- PRRTAA 1987
Commissioner of Taxation
24 July 2013
reasonably arguable position