Income Tax Assessment Act 1997



Division 124 - Replacement-asset roll-overs  

Subdivision 124-E - Exchange of shares or units  

SECTION 124-240  

124-240   Exchange of shares in the same company  
You can choose to obtain a roll-over if:

(a) you own *shares (the original shares ) of a certain class in a company; and

(b) the company redeems or cancels all shares of that class; and

(c) the company issues you with new shares (and you receive nothing else) in substitution for the original shares; and

(d) the *market value of the new shares just after they were issued is at least equal to the market value of the original shares just before they were redeemed or cancelled; and

(e) the *paid-up share capital of the company just after the new shares were issued is the same as just before the original shares were redeemed or cancelled; and

(f) one of these requirements is satisfied:

(i) you are an Australian resident at the time of the redemption or cancellation; or

(ii) if you are a foreign resident at that time - the original shares were *taxable Australian property just before that time and the new shares are taxable Australian property when they are issued.
Note 1:

The roll-over consequences are set out in Subdivision 124-A . The original assets are the original shares. The new assets are the new shares.

Note 2:

Section 103-25 tells you when you have to make the choice.

View surrounding sectionsView surrounding sectionsBack to top

This information is provided by CCH Australia Limited Link opens in new window. View the disclaimer and notice of copyright.