Income Tax Assessment Act 1997



Division 292 - Excess non-concessional contributions  

Subdivision 292-H - Other provisions  

SECTION 292-465   Commissioner ' s discretion to disregard contributions etc. in relation to a financial year  


If you make an application in accordance with subsection (2), the Commissioner may make a written determination that, for the purposes of this Division and Subdivision 97-B in Schedule 1 to the Taxation Administration Act 1953 , all or part of your * non-concessional contributions for a * financial year is to be:

(a) disregarded; or

(b) allocated instead for the purposes of another financial year specified in the determination.


You may apply to the Commissioner in the *approved form for a determination under subsection (1). The application can only be made:

(a) after all of the contributions sought to be disregarded or reallocated have been made; and

(b) if you receive one or more *excess non-concessional contributions determinations for the *financial year - before the end of:

(i) the period of 60 days starting on the day you receive the most recent of those determinations; or

(ii) a longer period allowed by the Commissioner.


The Commissioner may make a determination under subsection (1) only if he or she considers that:

(a) there are special circumstances; and

(b) making the determination is consistent with the object of this Division.


In making a determination under subsection (1) the Commissioner may have regard to the matters in subsections (5) and (6) and any other relevant matters.

The Commissioner may have regard to whether a contribution made in the relevant *financial year would more appropriately be allocated towards another financial year instead.

The Commissioner may have regard to whether it was reasonably foreseeable, when a relevant contribution was made, that you would have *excess concessional contributions or *excess non-concessional contributions for the relevant *financial year, and in particular:

(a) if the relevant contribution is made in respect of you by another person - the terms of any agreement or arrangement between you and that person as to the amount and timing of the contribution; and

(b) the extent to which you had control over the making of the contribution.


The Commissioner must give you a copy of a determination made under subsection (1).

(Repealed by No 81 of 2016)



If you are dissatisfied with:

(a) a determination made under this section in relation to you; or

(b) a decision the Commissioner makes not to make such a determination;

you may object against the determination, or the decision, as the case requires, in the manner set out in Part IVC of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 .


To avoid doubt:

(a) subject to subsection 14ZVC(3) of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 , you may also object, on the ground that you are dissatisfied with such a determination or decision, relating to all or part of your *non-concessional contributions for a *financial year:

(i) under section 175A of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 against an assessment made in relation to you for the corresponding income year; or

(ii) under section 97-35 in Schedule 1 to the Taxation Administration Act 1953 against an *excess non-concessional contributions determination made in relation to you for the financial year; and

(b) for the purposes of paragraph (e) of Schedule 1 to the Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977 , the making of a determination under this section is a decision forming part of the process of making an assessment of tax, and making a calculation of charge, under this Act.

View surrounding sectionsView surrounding sectionsBack to top

This information is provided by CCH Australia Limited Link opens in new window. View the disclaimer and notice of copyright.