Fringe benefits tax: for the purposes of Section 135C of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 (FBTAA) what is the exemption threshold for the fringe benefits tax (FBT) year commencing on 1 April 2001?
Please note that the PDF version is the authorised version of this ruling.This document has changed over time. View its history.
FOI status:may be releasedFOI number: I 1024843
|The number, subject heading, date of effect and paragraphs 1 of this Taxation Determination is a 'public ruling' for the purposes of Part IVAAA of the Taxation Administration Act 1953 and are legally binding on the Commissioner. The remainder of the Determination is administratively binding on the Commissioner. Taxation Rulings TR 92/1 and TR 97/16 together explain how a Determination is legally or administratively binding.|
|Date of effect|
|This determination applies for the FBT year commencing on 1 April 2001. However, this Determination does not apply to taxpayers to the extent that it conflicts with the terms of settlement of a dispute agreed to before the date of the Determination (see paragraphs 21 and 22 of Taxation Ruling TR 92/20).|
1. The exemption threshold for the FBT year commencing on 1 April 2001 is $5,505. This replaces the amount of $5,268 that applied in the previous year.
2. Two conditions must be satisfied for the record keeping exemption arrangements to apply to an employer for an FBT year. The first condition requires a base year to be established.
3. Section 135C sets out a number of conditions that must be met before an FBT year is a base year of an employer.
4. One of the conditions is that the aggregate fringe benefits amount in the base year does not exceed the exemption threshold.
5. The exemption threshold set in this Determination has been ascertained by applying an indexation factor of 1.045 (reflecting the movement in the All Groups Consumer Price Index for the eight capital cities for the year ending 31 December 2000) to the previous year's threshold.
Commissioner of Taxation
26 April 2001
Not previously issued in draft form
record keeping exemption arrangements
fringe benefits tax, base year
FBTAA 1986 135C
|You are here||26 April 2001||Original ruling|
|11 May 2016||Withdrawn|