IT 2500A - Second Addendum
Taxation Ruling System: policy governing issue of income tax rulings: status of rulings: advance opinions
Please note that the PDF version is the authorised version of this ruling.
FOI status:may be released
ADDENDUM NO. 2
1. This Addendum supplements the guidelines contained in Taxation Ruling IT2500 as they concern Taxation Rulings in the IT and MT series. It explains the effect of a recent enhancement of the Taxation Rulings system.
2. Addendum No.2 to Taxation Ruling No.1 introduces the issue of Notices of Withdrawal and Notices of Archival as a means of assisting users of IT and MT series Rulings to quickly ascertain the current status of a particular Ruling.
Notices of Withdrawal
- a Tribunal or Court overturning or modifying an interpretation of the law on which the Ruling is predicated [category (ii) of paragraph 6 of IT2500]; or
- the approach adopted in the Ruling otherwise no longer being considered appropriate [category (iii) of paragraph 6 of IT2500].
4. The time at which a Ruling ceases to have effect will be expressly stated in the Notice of Withdrawal. This may be the date of issue of a replacement Ruling, or the date from which the application of the Ruling was discontinued.
5. The withdrawal of a Ruling will generally have a prospective effect, that is, from the date the withdrawal is publicised. There may be occasions where a change in the interpretation or application of the law generally operates in favour of taxpayers in which case the change may be applied retrospectively (see paragraph 7 of Taxation Ruling IT2500). Further guidelines on the timing of the operation of Rulings are contained in Taxation Ruling TR 92/20 - guidelines on the use of date of effect paragraphs in Taxation Rulings and Taxation Determinations.
Notice of Archival
7. A Notice of Archival recognises that the Ruling continued to apply until the statutory provisions on which it was based ceased to operate. The Ruling may contain principles which are relevant in other contexts. The Notice of Archival will contain details of the timing of the repeal or discontinuance of the relevant statutory provisions.
Issue of Notices of Withdrawal and Notices of Archival
8. To assist users of Rulings to identify current guidelines in a particular area of taxation law it is desirable that the 'withdrawn' or 'archived' status of a Ruling be documented as soon as practicable after the attribution to the Ruling of either status is identified.
9. For those Rulings to which a 'withdrawn' or 'archived' status has been attributed prior to the issue of this Addendum, the Notices of Withdrawal and Notices of Archival will be issued in the course of the Review of Taxation Rulings issued before 1 July 1992.
COMMISSIONER OF TAXATION
8 July 1993
© Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia
You are free to copy, adapt, modify, transmit and distribute material on this website as you wish (but not in any way that suggests the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or any of your services or products).