Tax Laws Amendment (Simplified Superannuation) Act 2007 (9 of 2007)
Schedule 3 Indexation
Income Tax Assessment Act 1997
7 After section 960-280
960-285 Indexation - superannuation and employment termination
(1) This section applies in relation to an amount mentioned in a provision listed at items 8 to 12 in section 960-265.
(2) You index the amount by:
(a) firstly, multiplying the amount for the 2007-2008 income year by its *indexation factor mentioned in subsection (4); and
(b) next, rounding the result in paragraph (a) down to the nearest multiple of $5,000.
Example 1: If the amount to be indexed is $140,000 and the indexation factor increases this to an indexed amount of $143,000, the indexed amount is rounded back down to $140,000.
Example 2: If the amount to be indexed is $140,000 and the indexation factor increases this to an indexed amount of $146,000, the indexed amount is rounded down to $145,000.
(3) You do not index the amount if its indexation factor mentioned in subsection (4) is 1 or less.
(4) For indexation of the amount on an annual basis, the indexation factor is:
Index number mentioned in subsection (6) for the quarter ending on 31 December just before the start of the relevant income year / Index number mentioned in subsection (6) for the quarter ending on 31 December 2006
(5) You work out the *indexation factor mentioned in subsection (4) to 3 decimal places (rounding up if the fourth decimal place is 5 or more).
(6) For calculating the amounts, the index number for a quarter is the estimate of full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings for the middle month of the quarter first published by the Australian Statistician in respect of that month.
© Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia
You are free to copy, adapt, modify, transmit and distribute material on this website as you wish (but not in any way that suggests the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or any of your services or products).