ATO Practice Statement Law Administration
PS LA 2003/9
|SUBJECT:||The Online Resource Centre for Law Administration (ORCLA)|
|PURPOSE:||To prescribe the mandatory use of ORCLA by all Tax Office staff involved in technical decision making.|
Refer to end of document for amendment history. Prior versions can be requested by emailing TCNLawPublishingandPolicy@ato.gov.au if required.This document has changed over time. View its history.
FOI status: may be released
|TABLE OF CONTENTS|
|Business line supplementary policy and procedures|
|Status of linked documents|
|Currency of ORCLA|
|Linked documents to be treated as part of ORCLA|
1. ORCLA is a 'virtual' manual of policies, procedures and other instructions for staff who make technical decisions in respect of laws administered by the Commissioner of Taxation. ORCLA replaces the ATO Advice Manual.
Business line supplementary policy and procedures
5. Business lines are responsible for the currency and maintenance of their own material contained in ORCLA, and must submit all proposed changes to the ORCLA Reference Group mailbox in Outlook for editorial approval.
Status of linked documents
6. As a 'virtual' manual, ORCLA refers to documents that are stored elsewhere but accessible from ORCLA. The documents listed in paragraph 13 are to be treated as part of ORCLA, and adherence to their content is also mandatory.
Currency of ORCLA
8. All material changes to ORCLA are recorded in 'What's New' and listed in each document's version control table. Officers who require previous versions of updated documents should contact the ORCLA Reference Group.
10. Additionally, where there is any reason to doubt the correctness or applicability of technical information provided in ORCLA, the matter must be escalated for review (together with documented reasons) in accordance with the escalation process of the relevant business line.
- Division 359 private rulings and Division 358 public rulings
- indirect tax private and public rulings
- administratively binding advice
- advice about proposed changes to tax laws
- written guidance
- oral rulings, and
- Part IVC taxation objections.
12. ORCLA has been designed for ease of use in an on-line environment, and includes various searching options for quick access to information. While there is a strong emphasis on written binding advice it will be progressively expanded to cover all technical decision making in accordance with corporate priorities.
Linked documents to be treated as part of ORCLA
- the Public Rulings Manual, and
- oral ruling policies and procedures.
Date of Issue: 22 September 2003
Date of Effect: 22 September 2003
Related Practice Statements:
PS LA 2002/17
PS LA 2004/6
PS LA 2005/24
PS LA 2008/3
ORCLA (internal link only)
provision of advice
ATO Advice Manual
Law Practice Improvement Projects
Law and Practice
22 October 2003:
New paragraph 10 added
17 July 2004:
1 July 2006:
29 February 2008:
© Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia
You are free to copy, adapt, modify, transmit and distribute material on this website as you wish (but not in any way that suggests the ATO or the Commonwealth endorses you or any of your services or products).