Show download pdf controls
  • How to report contributions that you rollover – self-managed superannuation funds

    The following instructions and examples will assist you as a trustee of a self-managed super fund (SMSF) or a trustee's authorised agent to complete:

    • the Rollover benefits statement (NAT 70944) – when you make a rollover to another super fund
    • your Self-managed superannuation fund annual return (NAT 71226) – after the end of the financial year in which you made a rollover – in particular, sections F and G of that return.

    You should read and understand the instructions below for completing these forms before you refer to the examples:

    Contributions need to be reported accurately after a rollover

    Penalties may apply if you make a false and misleading statement in an SMSF annual return or RBS by reporting your member's contributions inaccurately to another fund or to us.

    Information about the contributions made to your SMSF during a financial year must be reported to us for each member. This will allow us to calculate and pay super co-contributions for them (if eligible) and assess excess contributions tax if they apply.

    You will usually report contributions after the end of the financial year directly to us in your Self-managed superannuation fund annual return (SAR). That is unless a rollover is involved.

    If you have rolled over all or a part of a member's balance to another super fund, you need to report information about the rollover to the receiving fund on an RBS.

    See also:

    • TR 2010/1 Income tax: superannuation contributions

    Find out about:

      Last modified: 14 Feb 2017QC 25212