Register for ELS
Standard Business Reporting (SBR) will be replacing the electronic lodgment service (ELS). ELS will remain available with forms and services for Tax Time 2014 and 2015. It will then be turned off and no longer available.
Equipment you need
To register for ELS you need:
- a computer system
- a printer
- one of the following operating systems
- Windows XP (supported but not recommended), Vista, 7, 8 and 10
- Linux 2.2.12, 2.2.14
- Mac OS9, OS10
- an ELS software package which has been tested on your operating system.
If you are a transmitter, you will also need an internet connection.
Electronic transmission options are not available to users of Windows 95 or earlier operating systems. This is because the security arrangement for the internet protocol (IP) network will not work with Windows 95.
We do not provide prices or recommend specific software packages.
Selecting an ELS user type
To register, you need to decide how you want to use the ELS by selecting one of the following user types.
- prepares client tax returns and forms and then transmits them using their own ELS registration details
- can also transmit tax returns and forms on behalf of preparer tax agents.
- prepares client tax returns and forms
- needs to transmit these returns and forms through a transmitter tax agent who uses their own ELS registration details.
If you choose to be a preparer, you cannot receive ELS reports such as client lists and activity statement reports.
Make sure the preparer’s registered agent number is included on the client’s tax return or form.
How to complete the enrolment form
To complete the form, you need to:
- choose which transmission option you want to use (dial IP or internet)
- install your IP-enabled ELS software package
- download and print a copy of the Electronic lodgment service ELS enrolment (NAT 74002, PDF 105KB)
- fax your completed ELS enrolment form to us on 1300 859 014.
If you have applied for a new agent registration with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), you need to wait 21 days after you have received your official registered agent number before submitting an ELS enrolment form.
This will allow for required system checks between the TPB and us to be completed.
Your registration should take no more than 10 working days. If we anticipate delays to your registration or require further information, we will contact you within that time and provide you with a new anticipated timeframe for resolution.
Once you are registered, we will send you a letter by registered mail with your registration details included.
For help with set-up and use of your software package, contact your software provider.
We recommend you use appropriate security procedures to protect your:
- ELS approval number
- authentication codes
- storage of forms and declarations.
You may have to quote your ELS approval number when contacting us about ELS issues. This is located on your ELS registration letter.
Enrol for Electronic lodgment service (ELS) To register for the ELS you need to complete the enrolment form once you have worked out what equipment you require and selected an ELS user type.