Complex issue resolution
Our Complex issue resolution service is available to resolve complex administrative issues and tax technical interpretation queries you have been unable to resolve online or by phone.
- The service is available to all registered agents, legal practitioners and other intermediaries who represent clients in a professional capacity. The service operates on the understanding that if we need to discuss client specific details, you have been nominated as an authorised representative of that client.
Issues we can help with
You can use this service for complex administrative issues or tax technical interpretation queries you have been unable to resolve online or by phone.
- administrative issues, which are outside the norm and not able to be resolved by our standard processes
- general advice about new or changed legislation
- complex or multiple, related tax technical issues, for example where there is an interaction between taxes or a variety of concessions/considerations within a tax
- general help with legal interpretation – where a decision is required around our view.
ATO advice and guidance
Responses to technical queries are for general guidance only and are not legally binding. If you require binding technical advice, you can seek a ruling. Refer to ATO advice and guidance.
This service should not be used to lodge complaints. If you wish to lodge a complaint, refer to Complaints.
Get it done
You can submit your query online using the Complex issue resolution form.
Complex issue resolution form
If you experience difficulty using the form, send your query to Tax Practitioner Assistance@ato.gov.au providing your contact details, full details of the issue and details of the interactions you have already had with the ATO in relation to the matter.
How we resolve your issue
We will acknowledge your enquiry within one working day. We aim to resolve issues within five working days. Some issues may take longer to resolve. If this occurs, we will advise you of the timeframe and keep you informed of progress.
The Complex issue resolution service is available for tax professionals to resolve complex administrative issues or tax technical interpretation queries you have been unable to resolve online channels or by phone. We aim to get back to you within five working days.