Pre-filling data is available each year from 1 July as we receive it. You can access reports from 2007 to the current income year. These can be viewed online and printed.
Our pre-filling service provides information about your clients' income and expenses that we have obtained from various organisations. We also have other information that can be used to complete your clients’ tax returns, including previous years' tax return data.
You can view your clients’ details by requesting the 'pre-filling report' that is available in the portal. The information in the report is displayed as a summary.
On this page:
Timing of pre-filled information
We receive the information progressively from 1 July, with substantial amounts available early August. You can generally access this information two to three days after we receive it.
Information providers, such as employers, financial institutions and other government agencies, are not legally obliged to give us information for pre-filling purposes. However, they must report information to us for compliance purposes by certain statutory dates, for example:
- PAYG payment summary information must be submitted by 14 August
- annual investment income report information must be submitted by 31 October.
We ask information providers to:
- provide information to us as close to 1 July as practicable
- lodge their information electronically.
Most information sent to us is included in the pre-filling service.
The pre-filling report
The report can be:
- viewed online
- viewed in a spreadsheet application, where you can add or amend data as required
- imported directly into your proprietary tax management software if it is part of your software capability.
- review pre-filled data
- amend pre-filled data if necessary
- add any missing income details.
Note: Do not rely solely on pre-filled information. The information provided may be incomplete because of:
- timing – an organisation has not supplied data yet or ATO processing has not been completed
- matching – we could not match the data to your client
- validation – the data did not pass all processing checks.
Printing the pre-filling report
You can enable the printing of background colours and images so the pre-filling report will print as it displays on screen, including the coloured headings.
- In Internet Explorer 9.0 and later:
- Go to File > Page Setup.
- Check the boxes 'Print Background Colors and Images' and 'Enable Shrink-to-Fit'.
- In Mozilla Firefox 8.0 and later:
- Go to File > Page Setup.
- Select the tab Format & Options. Check the box 'Print Background (colours and images)'.
You may have difficulties with the ‘View and Print Online’ option in pre-generated reports on the portal due to the browser settings on your computer. The report opens in a new browser window, known as a pop-up. Many browsers are set to block pop-ups.
Before you contact us
If you do not understand or agree with the pre-filling data:
- check your client’s records or statements to work out the cause of the discrepancy
- ask your client to clarify the discrepancy with the information provider
- check the current data issues section for any updates about identified pre-filling data issues that may be affecting your clients.
We prefer you to contact us with portal mail:
- select Mail in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen
- select Income tax as the mail topic
- select 2007 and later years incorrect pre-filling data as the heading.
You can also phone us on 13 72 86 Fast Key Code 2 1 4.
Provide as much detail as possible to help us investigate your issue.
Log in to the Tax Agent PortalPre-filling data is available each year from 1 July as we receive it. You can access reports from 2007 to the current income year. These can be viewed online and printed.