Missing information and discrepancies
Not all information is available through the pre-filling service. Information such as rental income cannot be supplied by us. You need to include all relevant information in your clients' returns.
Not all information supplied by information providers is suitable for pre-filling due to inconsistencies with client details, for example, some records are supplied without the correct tax file number (TFN) attached, or have name and address details that we cannot confidently match to your clients' details in our records.
Your clients need to ensure they provide their correct personal details, such as their name, date of birth and TFN (where relevant), and make sure these details are the same for all government agencies.
Information may also be missing where some records supplied have not satisfied validation checks in the pre-filling system. These checks are in place to ensure that the information that is pre-filled is logical and meaningful. For example, records where the tax withheld amount is greater than the gross income will not be pre-filled as it is failed the pre-filling validation checks.
Clients with a 'restricted access' or 'security assessed' status on our systems (such as high profile taxpayers) will not have pre-filled information available on the portal.
Discrepancies or errors
Your client may not recognise some of the information provided in the pre-filling report, for example, they may be unfamiliar with an amount of interest. This is commonly caused by:
- interest bearing securities reported by share registries rather than a bank
- bank accounts or investments that have been overlooked by an investor
- bank accounts or investments that have been established on behalf of your client, but are unknown to them.
If you do not understand or agree with the pre-filling data:
- check your client’s records or statements to find the cause of the discrepancy
- ask your client to clarify the discrepancy with the information provider
- check the current data issues section for updates on identified pre-filling data issues.
- check the recurring data issues section for details about data issues affecting multiple years.
- From 2014 onwards the pre-filling report provides the full account number for interest income and farm managed deposits to allow your clients to more easily identify and resolve discrepancies.
If your client needs the full account details to query an amount with a third-party provider for their current or prior-year return, or SRN/HIN number for their investment accounts, they can phone us on 13 28 61.
Pre-filling does not alter your responsibility to provide a complete and correct tax return for your client.
If we audit a lodged return and find errors, we may consider whether the taxpayer or their agent had accessed pre-filling information that they chose to omit from the return when applying any penalties or interest.
Log in to the Tax Agent PortalIf information provided in the pre-filling report is missing or incorrect according to your client's records, you should ask your client to resolve the discrepancy with the information provider before contacting us. Some information such as rental income cannot be supplied by us and is not available through the pre-filling service.