Careers for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
The ATO offers rewarding jobs and career opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
On this page
Our commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
We value the contribution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples bring as employees of the ATO. We recognise the importance of recruiting and retaining Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
We are taking action to achieve this through our:
Indigenous affirmative measure
We have an important role to play in supporting the financial wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. As an organisation we are committed to increasing the representation of Indigenous employees to reflect the diversity of the Australian community. To achieve this, we:
If we apply an affirmative measure to a vacancy:
- we let you know in the job advertisement and on the application form
- the position is open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- we use a competitive process to assess suitability, with our assessment focused on the work-related qualities required for the position.
Confirmation of heritage
To be eligible for employment under the Indigenous affirmative measure, you need to provide confirmation of your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage.
You do this by providing us a copy of a document from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander organisation that confirms or endorses that you:
- are an Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander or both an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person
- identify as an Aboriginal person or a Torres Strait Islander person or both an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person
- are accepted in your community as being an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person or both an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person.
To support your application, you need to provide your confirmation document within 6 weeks of the application closing date.
Our development programs
We have entry-level development programs exclusively for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. These provide you with regular on-the-job training and an opportunity to complete a certified course while doing paid work.
- The Evergreen program is an ongoing role where you can complete a formal qualification as part of the 12-month program. As a participant, you have the opportunity for promotion to a higher salary when you complete the program.
- The Jumpstart program is a 12-month non-ongoing role that gives you
- flexibility to experience working with us while completing a formal qualification
- the option to apply for further career opportunities with us including the Evergreen program.
You will need to provide confirmation of your Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage to be eligible for these programs.
We offer you career and development support through our:
- Moondani staff network for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Kawutilin ally network, which supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and initiatives in the workplace
- Diversity Human Resource Officers, who support the delivery of the ATO's Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
- Indigenous Liaison Officers who give advice and support to staff including specialist advice for situations and initiatives affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people
- Indigenous employee roundtable events, which give opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees to participate in tailored career development activities, connection to culture and networking
- ATO Indigenous mobility and development program to support career growth and provide varied experiences within the ATO
- cultural or ceremonial leave, including leave to attend NAIDOCExternal Link activities.
We recommend you take a look at what we can offer you, what we look for and how to apply at Careers.
See our recruitment process so you're ready when you find a great job to apply for.
Check out our ATO CareersExternal Link portal, where you can:
Search current vacanciesThe ATO offers rewarding jobs and career opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- search for jobs
- set up job alerts
- submit your application.