Show download pdf controls
  • Water entitlement reduction or replacement: CGT rollover

    You may be able to obtain capital gains tax (CGT) rollover for a water entitlement when you:

    • replace your water entitlement, including by transformation
    • reduce your water entitlements.

    Transformation is the process by which an irrigator permanently changes their rights to water against an irrigation infrastructure operator (operator) into a statutory licence held by an entity other than the operator.

    If your water entitlement was replaced or reduced between 1 July 2005 and 7 December 2010, you can choose to amend your income tax return for the year you reported the gain. See Water entitlements before 7 December 2010.

    What is a water entitlement?

    A water entitlement is any legal or equitable right owned by an entity that relates to water, including groundwater. They could be rights to:

    • receive water
    • take water from a water resource
    • have water delivered
    • deliver water.

    Examples of water entitlements include:

    • water allocations
    • water use licence
    • rights relating to conveyance of water, such as a conveyance licence
    • irrigation rights
    • contractual right against a third party, such as an operator
    • a statutory licence against a state or territory government
    • a share in a company if it has rights attaching to it that relate to water
    • an interest in a trust or partnership, if the interest has rights to water attached to it.

    Find out about:

      Last modified: 24 Aug 2016QC 24125