Show download pdf controls
  • Do I need to lodge a tax return?

    To help you work out if you need to lodge a tax return for the current and prior income years, you can use our Do I need to lodge a tax return?This link opens in a new window tool.

    If you are a working holiday maker do not use this calculator, you will need to read Working holiday makers for more information.

    From 1 July 2017 if you have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt and you're a foreign resident for tax purposes – you'll need to declare your worldwide income or lodge a non-lodgment advice. You can do this using our online services via myGov or through a registered Australian tax agent.

    For more information, see HELP and TSL overseas obligations.

    The Study and training loan repayment calculator will help you find out your compulsory repayment or overseas levy amounts.

    You'll need to lodge if:

    • you've made personal superannuation contributions which have exceeded your non-concessional (after tax) cap for the financial year, or
    • the contributions you have made have resulted in your concessional (pre-tax) contributions cap being exceeded.

    You may also need to lodge if you are in receipt of a capped defined benefit income stream, even where you have not been required to do so for some time.

    If you're unsure if you need to lodge a tax return see Do you need to lodge a tax return?

    Last modified: 15 Jun 2018QC 21505