Show download pdf controls
  • Zone or overseas forces tax offset calculator

    This calculator will help you work out your eligibility for a zone or overseas forces tax offset and the amount that you can claim for 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17 and 2017–18.

    From 1 July 2015, to be eligible for the zone tax offset your normal residence must be in a zone. For more information on the law change see Zone Tax Offset – exclude 'fly-in-fly-out'.

    For earlier years, you only had to have lived or worked in a remote or isolated area of Australia (zone), not including an offshore oil or gas rig.

    You may be able to claim an overseas forces tax offset if you have served overseas as a member of the Australian Defence Force or a United Nations armed force.

    You will need the following information:

    • the number of days you normally lived or worked in a zone or specified overseas locality
    • if you maintained a child under 21 or full time student under 25    
    • your prior year zone and claim details if you are claiming for a zone tax offset and you lived or worked in a zone for less than 183 days.


    All outcomes provided by this calculator are based on the information you provide at the time of calculation. You should use the outcomes as an estimate and for guidance purposes only.

    Next step:

    See also:

    The links below will provide you with step by step instructions on how to manually calculate the zone tax offset for earlier years:

    Last modified: 29 Jun 2018QC 17599