Show download pdf controls
  • Assumed controller test



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    A foreign company will normally be treated as a CFC under the assumed controller test if a single Australian entity owns, or is entitled to acquire, an associate-inclusive control interest of at least 40% in the foreign company. An entity's associate-inclusive control interest in a foreign company is the sum of the interests held in the company by the entity and the associates of the entity. A foreign company will not be treated as a CFC under the assumed controller test, however, if the company is controlled by a party or parties unrelated to the single resident or its associates.

    Example 2
    Assumed controller test

    If an Australian entity holds 45% of the interests in a foreign company and the remaining 55% is held by several non-residents, it would be assumed under this test that the Australian controls the foreign company.

    Last modified: 05 Dec 2006QC 17522