Show download pdf controls
  • Step 3 Total current year capital gains



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you do not have any capital gains from collectables, add up all your capital gains from step 2 and write this amount at H Total current year capital gains item 18 on your tax return (supplementary section).

    If you have a capital gain from collectables, deduct any capital losses from collectables (including unapplied net capital losses from earlier years from collectables). Do not deduct capital losses from other capital gains at this stage.

    Any capital gain remaining is added to all your other capital gains from step 2. Write the total amount at H item 18 on your tax return (supplementary section).

    If you received (or are entitled to receive) a distribution from a trust that includes a net capital gain, you also need to include this amount here in your total capital gains. Do not include this amount as a distribution from the trust at item 13 Partnerships and trusts on your tax return (supplementary section).

    If your capital gains from collectables were reduced to zero when you applied your losses from collectables - and you still have capital losses from collectables remaining - make a note of this amount.

    This capital loss can be carried forward to future years (see step 9) and will be recorded at V Net capital losses carried forward to later income years item 18 on your tax return (supplementary section).

    Last modified: 10 Sep 2010QC 28058