Show download pdf controls
  • Partial exemption



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Main residence for only part of the period you owned it

    If a CGT event happens to a dwelling you acquired on or after 20 September 1985 and that dwelling was not your main residence for the whole time you owned it, you get only a partial exemption.

    You calculate the part of the capital gain that is taxable as follows:

    total capital gain made from the CGT event


    number of days in your ownership period
      when the dwelling was not your main residence  
    total number of days in your ownership period

    Example 64: Main residence for part of the ownership period

    Andrew bought a house on 1 hectare of land under a contract that was settled on 1 July 1990 and moved in immediately. On 1 July 1993, he moved out and began to rent out the house. He did not choose to treat the house as his main residence for the period after he moved out, although he could have done this under the 'continuing main residence status after dwelling ceases to be your main residence' rule. The 'home first used to produce income' rule does not apply because Andrew used the home to produce income before 21 August 1996.

    A contract for the sale of the house was entered into on 1 July 2009 and settled on 31 August 2009 and Andrew made a capital gain of $100,000. As he is entitled to a partial exemption, Andrew's capital gain is as follows:




    5,906 days
    7,002 days



    As Andrew entered into the contract to acquire the house before 11.45am (by legal time in the ACT) on 21 September 1999 but the CGT event occurred after this date, and he had owned the house for at least 12 months, Andrew can choose to use the discount method or the indexation method to calculate his capital gain.

    If a dwelling was not your main residence for the whole time you owned it, some special rules may entitle you to a full exemption or to extend the partial exemption you would otherwise get. These rules apply to land or a dwelling if you:

    Last modified: 10 Sep 2010QC 28058