Show download pdf controls
  • Who should not use this guide?



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Do not use this guide if you are an investor who is not a resident of Australia or if you have gains or losses included as part of your income under other provisions of the tax law - for example, if you are carrying on a business of share trading (see Carrying on a business of share trading - Fact sheet).

    The guide does not explain more complex issues relating to shares (including employee shares), convertible notes and units. Nor does it apply to shares and units owned by companies, trusts and superannuation funds.

    Also, this guide does not cover your capital gains tax consequences when you sell other assets such as:

    • a rental property
    • collectables (for example, jewellery, art, antiques and collections), and
    • assets for personal use (for example, a boat you use for recreation).

    For these, see the Guide to capital gains tax 2004-05 (NAT 4151-6.2005).

    Last modified: 06 Oct 2009QC 27583