Show download pdf controls
  • Completing your application form



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    Help: If you are unsure of something there is a list of question and answers which may help you.

    When filling out the forms start with item 1 below.

    Item 1

    Item 1 Your tax file number (TFN)

    If you already have a TFN write it on page 1 of your form. If you are not sure of our TFN or need to apply for one, ring the refund of imputation credits infoline on 13 61 40.

    Item 2

    Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes?

    You must be an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole of the period 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001 to apply for a refund of imputation credits.

    The standards the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) uses to determine your residency status are not the same as those used by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs. Generally, the ATO considers you to be an Australian resident for tax purposes if you have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live here permanently.

    If you need help in deciding whether or not you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, ring the Personal Tax Infoline on 13 28 61.

    Items 3 to 9-Personal details

    Please complete all these items on page 1 of your form accurately to avoid delays in processing.

    Item 10-Do you want your refund paid directly into your financial institution account?

    By using electronic funds transfer (EFT) the ATO can deposit your refund directly into the bank, credit union or building society account of your choice. EFT gives you quicker access to your money. Some accounts do not accept EFT payments. If you are unsure, check with your financial institution.

    If you would like to use EFT print X in the Yes box on page 2 of your application form at the question Do you want your refund paid directly into your financial institution account?

    Note: If you answer No, a cheque will be sent to your postal address.

    Write the following information on your application form:

    • the bank state branch (BSB) number. This is a 6-digit number that identifies the financial institution. The BSB number can be found on an account statement or a cheque.
    • the account number as shown on the account records. An account statement, cheque book or other document from the financial institution will show this information.
    • the account name-also called account title-as shown on the account records. Quote the account name as it is shown on the account records. Include a space between each word and between any initials in the account name.

    Item 11-Dividends

    Your dividend or distribution statement should show:

    • the amount of unfranked and franked dividends you received
    • the amount of imputation credits
    • the amount of tax withheld (if any) called TFN amounts withheld or deducted.

    Note: Only applies if you have not provided your TFN.

    To help you calculate the amounts which you need to show at item 11 we have provided a worksheet. If you are unsure how to fill in your worksheet the example will help you.

    You do not need to send in this worksheet with your application form. It is provided to help you work out the figures you need to put at item 11.

    Use this worksheet if you have more than one dividend or distribution statement.


    Make sure you have all your dividend or distribution statements for the period 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001 before starting.

    Last modified: 13 Feb 2019QC 16274