Show download pdf controls
  • Taxation implications



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you are paid or credited dividends, or non-share dividends, you are required to include the following amounts in assessable income on your tax return:

    • the unfranked amount
    • the franked amount
    • the imputation credit.

    We show you below how John Citizen would complete item 11 on his tax return, using the figures in the example.

    You can see on the COALS TYER statement that John had no TFN amount withheld from the dividends he was paid or credited. Where a resident shareholder does not provide an Australian company with their TFN, the company is required to deduct tax from the unfranked amount of any dividend at the highest income tax rate for individuals (47 per cent) plus Medicare levy (1.5 per cent)-a total rate for 2001-02 of 48.5 per cent. As John advised COALS TYER Ltd of his TFN, no TFN amount was withheld.

    If John had not advised COALS TYER Ltd of his TFN, a TFN amount would have been withheld from the unfranked amount of the dividend and shown by John on his tax return at V item 11. A credit for the TFN amount withheld would then be allowed in John's tax assessment.

    If John received more than one dividend statement during the income year, he would need to show the total amounts at S, T, U and V item 11 on his 2001-02 tax return.

    Question 11 Dividends
Label S Unfranked amount $200
Label T Franked amount $700
Label U Imputation credit $300
Label V Tax file number amounts withheld from dividends nil

    Last modified: 13 Dec 2019QC 27432