Show download pdf controls
  • About this guide



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    You and your shares 2006 will help people who hold shares or bonds as an investment to understand their tax obligations. It covers:

    • how dividends received by Australian resident and non-resident individuals are taxed, and
    • the type of expenses you may be able to claim against dividend income.

    If you acquired shares after 19 September 1985, capital gains tax may apply when you dispose of them. For more information, see the Personal investors guide to capital gains tax 2005–06 (NAT 4152-6.2006).

    Who should use this guide?

    Use this guide if you are an individual taxpayer who holds shares or bonds as an investment.

    This guide will also help people who carry on a business of trading in shares. However, it does not deal with the specific taxation of shares held as trading stock or with the profits or losses arising from the disposal of such shares. If you need further advice on these aspects of owning shares, contact your recognised tax adviser or the Tax Office.

    Publications and services

    To find out how to get a publication referred to in this guide and for information about our other services, see More information.

    Last modified: 17 Apr 2020QC 27783