Show download pdf controls
  • Your franking tax offset



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you are paid or credited fully or partly franked dividends, or non-share dividends - that is, they carry franking credits for which you are entitled to claim franking tax offsets - your assessable income includes both the amount of the dividends you were paid or credited and the amount of franking credits attached to the dividends. You must include both amounts when you lodge your tax return - tax is payable at your applicable tax rate on these amounts.

    If the franking credit is included in your assessable income at U item 12, you are then entitled to a franking tax offset equal to the amount included in your income. It is not necessary for you to claim the offset. It will appear on your assessment notice.

    The franking tax offset can be used to reduce your tax liability from all forms of income, not just dividends, and from taxable net capital gains. The John Citizen example shows you how this works.

    Before 1 July 2000 your franking tax offset could not create a refund. If you had any remaining franking tax offset amount available after your tax liability had been reduced to zero, it was disregarded and could not be refunded. However, from 1 July 2000 any excess franking tax offset amount is refunded to eligible resident individuals, after any income tax and Medicare levy liabilities have been met.

    Example: Impact of franking tax offsets

    Tax payable on taxable income


    less other tax offsets


    Net tax payable


    plus Medicare levy




    less franking tax offset


    Refund (of excess franking credits)


    (Amounts are for illustrative purposes only.)

    End of example

    Claiming your franking tax offset when you do not need to lodge a tax return

    If you are eligible to claim a franking tax offset for 2007-08 but you are not otherwise required to lodge a tax return, you should read the publication Refund of franking credits instructions and application for individuals 2008 (NAT 4105). If you need further information, phone the Personal Infoline on 13 28 61.

    Last modified: 04 Mar 2016QC 27923