Show download pdf controls
  • Working as a contractor

    As a contractor, you can be an individual (sole trader) or working in your own company, partnership, or trust. You might even call yourself an independent contractor, sub-contractor or a 'subbie'.

    Contractors have different tax and super obligations to employees.

    As a contractor, you're running your own business. You need an Australian business number (ABN), and you need to pay tax and super. You're not entitled to paid leave if you get sick or injured. You may have to pay the cost to fix anything you damage in the course of your work. You may also have to pay the costs incurred by someone else if you cause an accident on someone else's property.

    It's essential to find out what your tax and super obligations will be as a contractor. Knowing these obligations from the start can save you time, money and stress later on.

    Next steps:

    See also:

    Last modified: 04 Jul 2018QC 43442