Show download pdf controls
  • Unpaid super from your employer

    If you think your employer isn’t paying your super guarantee contributions, follow the steps below:

    1. Am I entitled? – you should confirm that you're entitled for super guarantee before taking any further steps.
    2. Use the Estimate my super tool if you're unsure how much super guarantee your employer should be paying.
    3. Talk to your employer. You should ask them how often they're currently paying your super, which fund they're paying to and how much are they paying.
    4. Confirm how much super guarantee you have received by  
      • checking member statements from your super fund or contacting them to confirm whether your employer has paid your super contributions
      • creating or using your existing myGovExternal Link account to access online services. This will allow you to check how much super has been paid into your super fund, as well as details of all your super funds including any you have lost track of.
    5. Lodge an enquiry. If you've completed steps 3 and 4 and still believe your employer isn't paying enough (or any) super – or isn't paying the super to your chosen fund – you can report your employer using our online tool.

    Our collection approach to unpaid super from your employer

    If your employer doesn't pay the minimum amount of Super Guarantee (SG) into the correct fund by the due date they may have to pay the Super Guarantee Charge (SGC).

    We prioritise the collection of unpaid SGC debts. We'll work with employers who engage with us to address their debt – for those that don't engage we'll take stronger action.

    This can include:

    If you've chosen to report your employer we'll keep you updated on the investigation. If we establish there is an SGC debt, we'll also keep you updated on the recovery actions we're taking. You can also phone 13 10 20.

    Any SGC we collect from your employer is distributed to your super fund.

    See also:

    Last modified: 28 Nov 2018QC 47931