Show download pdf controls
  • People living outside Australia – TFN application

    People living outside Australia with Australian sourced income need to apply for a tax file number (TFN) to claim a refund of any tax withheld, from an Australian bank account or from dividends from Australian shares.

    If you're a foreign resident of Australia for tax purposes and you only receive interest, dividends or royalty payments from an Australian source, you don't need a TFN.

    To find out the rate of tax that your payer should withhold, see Interest, unfranked dividends and royalties.

    On this page:

    Who can apply

    You can apply for a TFN if you:

    • receive income from an Australian source, other than interest, dividends or royalty payments, such as rental income
    • receive income from Australian business interests
    • have a spouse who is an Australian resident and is applying for family tax benefit
    • are a member of an Australian superannuation fund that
      • you expect to receive benefits from
      • you intend to make personal contributions to
      • contributions are made to on your behalf
    • need to lodge an Australian tax return or apply for an Australian business number (ABN).

    Next step:

    See also:

    Processing your TFN application

    You should receive your TFN within 28 days after we receive your completed application and required documents. Your TFN notice will be sent to the postal address provided on your application.

    We appreciate your patience during the processing period. To prevent delays in processing your application don't lodge another application. If you haven't received your TFN notice after 28 days, contact us.

    See also:

    Last modified: 12 Aug 2020QC 22605