Show download pdf controls
  • Copies of identity documents for applicants in Australia

    As an Australian resident, you need to give us certified identity documents when you apply for a TFN, ABN or register for GST. These documents must meet our certification and translation requirements.

    On this page

    Getting certified documents

    You must get copies of your identity documents certified to support your applications. The copies must be certified as a true and correct copy of the original document by an approved certifier.

    To certify your document:

    1. photocopy it (ensure text and photographs are clear and identifiable)
    2. take the copy and original to one of the approved certifiers in the list below.

    You can send these certified copies by mail. Don't send us your original documents as we may not be able to return them.

    We can't accept a document if you alter or correct it, even if you initial the changes.

    Approved certifiers

    The following people can certify copies of your original identity documents as true and correct:

    • Barrister
    • Solicitor
    • Medical practitioner who has a general or specialist registration with the Medical Board of AustraliaExternal Link (this doesn't include pharmacists)
    • Judge
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Minister of religion (who has the authority to celebrate marriage)
    • Police officer
    • Bank, building society or credit union officer with at least five years of service
    • Sheriff's officer
    • Commissioner of Declarations (only in Queensland).

    An approver certifier should never witness documents if:

    • it could create a real or perceived conflict of interest
    • the documents have a connection with matters they have an actual or perceived personal or financial interest in.

    A tax agent can't certify a document. This is because we can't be certain that the agent has no conflict of interest or commercial relationship with the entity and representing their tax affairs.

    Details you need from an approved certifier

    In your presence, an approved certifier must certify that each copy is a true and correct copy of the original document by:

    • sighting the original document
    • stamping, signing and annotating the copy of the document with 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'
    • initialling each page
    • listing their name, date of certification, phone number and position as an approved certifier.

    If the certifier uses a stamp, the stamp must show the certifier's:

    • qualification
    • contact details including phone number
    • reference number (if applicable).

    If the stamp does not include their name or contact details, they must print them underneath their signature.

    Documents in languages other than English

    Where your identity documents aren't written in English, you must:

    • give us a certified copy of the original document
    • arrange for the translation of your documents into English.

    Translations must be done by an approved translation service. The translation must also be certified as a true and correct copy by the service.

    For example, they may be translated by an appropriate embassy or a professional translation service accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI).

    The translation should also display an official stamp or similar that shows the certifier’s accreditation.

    If you are getting the translation in Australia, contact NAATIExternal Link for a list of approved translators.

    Lodging your certified documents

    Send your certified copies of identity documents to the address listed on the registration application form.

      Last modified: 20 Apr 2022QC 23245