Show download pdf controls
  • Amendment requests 2012

    How to amend your tax return



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    If you have made a mistake or need to amend your tax return, it is important you do it promptly.

    The easiest way is to complete the Request for amendment of income tax return for individuals form. Once you've completed the form then print it off and fax or post it to us with appropriate attachments.

    Fax to:

    1300 730 239

    Post to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 3004
    Penrith  NSW  2740

    If you choose not to use the amendment form, ensure your letter includes all relevant information, including name, address, phone number, tax file number, year and reason for amendment, item number and amount of amendment. Your letter needs to conclude with a signed and dated declaration -

    'I declare that:

    - all the information I have given in this letter, including any attachments, is true and correct

    - I have the necessary receipts and/or other records to support my claims for amendment' '.

    It is essential you clearly explain why you made the mistake or the reason for the change so we can assess your tax. If the amendment results in you paying more tax the amount of the penalty will, in most cases, be reduced because you have voluntarily told us. Remember to keep a copy for your records.

      Last modified: 01 Jun 2012QC 25769