Show download pdf controls
  • Income that you show on the supplementary section of the tax return 2012

    You need to use Individual tax return supplement 2012 if you had any of the following types of income or losses.

    Types of income

    • Partnership and trust distributions
    • Personal services income (other than salary and wage income)*
    • Income from a business (including one where you were self-employed)
    • Income under a pay as you go (PAYG) voluntary agreement
    • Income from which an amount was withheld because you did not quote your Australian business number
    • Income received as an independent contractor under a labour hire arrangement
    • Income you earned as a non-employee taxi driver, for example, a driver operating under a standard bailment agreement with an owner-operator
    • Income from which an amount was withheld due to the operation of foreign resident withholding
    • Income you deposited into a farm management account
    • Income you withdrew from a farm management account
    • A capital gain, for example, on disposal of a capital gains tax (CGT) asset
    • A distribution from a foreign entity
    • Income attributed to you from a controlled foreign company, foreign investment fund, foreign life policy or a transferor trust (foreign income)
    • Income shown on a foreign employment payment summary
    • Any other foreign employment income
    • Income received from a foreign source, including foreign pensions and foreign dividends, for example, New Zealand dividends with Australian franking credits**
    • Rent
    • Bonuses from life insurance companies and friendly societies
    • Forestry managed investment scheme income
    • Gains from financial arrangements calculated under the taxation of financial arrangements (TOFA) rules
    • Other income not shown at items 1 to 12

    *Personal services income includes the following payments specified by regulation ('specified payments'):

    • income as a performing artist in a promotional activity
    • payment for tutorial services provided for the Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme of the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
    • payment for translation and interpretation services for the Translating and Interpreting Service of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

    **You must also complete the supplementary section of the tax return if:

    • you own foreign assets (including an interest in a foreign life policy or foreign company or trust, or shares)
    • you have ever directly or indirectly caused the transfer of property (including money) or services to a non-resident trust estate.

    'Other income' includes:

    • an amount released by one or more of your superannuation funds greater than the excess contributions tax liability stated on the release authority. The release authority is sent to you with the notice of assessment for excess contributions tax
    • lump sum payments in arrears (except those relating to superannuation; you show these at item 7)
    • jury attendance fees
    • foreign exchange gains
    • royalties
    • bonus amounts distributed from friendly society income bonds
    • taxable scholarships, bursaries, grants and other educational awards
    • benefits and prizes from investment-related lotteries and some game-show winnings
    • income from your activities as a special professional, such as author of a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work; an inventor; a performing artist; a production associate or an active sportsperson
    • reimbursements of tax-related expenses or election expenses which you have claimed as a deduction
    • an assessable balancing adjustment from the disposal, loss or destruction of any depreciating asset, including your car, for which you have claimed a deduction for decline in value
    • payments from sickness and accident insurance policies other than those shown on your payment summary
    • interest from infrastructure borrowings if you intend to claim a tax offset at item T14
    • gains from the disposal or redemption of traditional securities
    • allowances or payments you received as a member of a local government council that you have not already shown at item 1 or 2
    • other taxable allowances or payments you received from Centrelink that are not shown at item 5 or 6
    • work-in-progress amounts you received and have not shown at item 15.

    Types of losses

    • A business loss (including one when you were self-employed)
    • A deferred non-commercial business loss
    • A capital loss, for example, on disposal of a CGT asset
    • Non-capital loss from the disposal or redemption of traditional securities

    Did you have any of these types of income or losses?



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention




    Read below.

    Answering this question

    You can find the Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2012 at the back of Individual tax return supplement 2012. If you don't have a copy of this supplement, you can get one from most newsagents during the lodgment period (1 July to 31 October 2012). Copies are also available all year from our  Publications Distribution Service.

    If you had a business or personal services income, or deferred non-commercial losses, you will need to read the publication Business and professional items 2012 (NAT 2543) then complete the Business and professional items schedule for individuals 2012 (NAT 2816) and attach it to page 3 of your tax return.

    Completing your tax return

    After completing all details that are relevant to your circumstances on the Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) 2012, transfer the TOTAL SUPPLEMENT INCOME OR LOSS amount on page 15 to item I on page 3 of your Tax return for individuals 2012. If it is a loss, print L in the LOSS box beside it.

    Helpful hints

    If you were 55 years old or older on 30 June 2012, you may be entitled to the mature age worker tax offset. Certain income from the supplementary section will be used to calculate your net income from working. See question T12 - Net income from working - supplementary section for further information.

    Where to go next

      Last modified: 01 Jun 2012QC 25681