Show download pdf controls
  • 6 Australian Government pensions and allowances 2016

    This question is about the following Australian Government payments:

    • age pension
    • bereavement allowance
    • carer payment
    • disability support pension, if you have reached age-pension age
    • education entry payment
    • parenting payment (single)
    • widow B pension
    • wife pension, if either you or your partner was of age-pension age
    • age service pension
    • income support supplement
    • Defence Force income support allowance (DFISA) where the pension, payment or allowance to which it relates is taxable
    • DFISA-like payment from the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • invalidity service pension, if you have reached age-pension age
    • partner service pension.

    Do not include any Australian Government pensions or allowances that are not taxable, these should be shown at item IT3 Tax-free government pensions 2016; see Amounts that you do not pay tax on 2016.

    Did you receive any of these payments?



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention


    Go to question 7 Australian annuities and superannuation income streams 2016, or return to main menu Individual tax return instructions 2016.


    Read below.

    Answering this question

    You will need:

    • your PAYG payment summary - individual non-business, or
    • a letter from the agency that paid your pension, allowance or payment stating the amount that you received.

    If you have not received this information, or you have lost it, contact the agency that paid you.

    Completing your tax return

    Step 1

    Add up the tax withheld shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.

    Write the total under Tax withheld at the left of B item 6.

    Step 2

    Add up the income shown on each of your payment summaries and letters.

    Write the total at B item 6.

    Tax tips

    You may be entitled to a tax offset on this income. Make sure you work through question T1 Seniors and pensioners (includes self-funded retirees) 2016 to see whether you are entitled to a tax offset.

    Helpful hint

    If you prepare your tax return online using myTax, you can use the pre-filling service to download these payments directly to your tax return.

    Where to go next

      Last modified: 26 May 2016QC 48491