Show download pdf controls
  • Lodge your tax return with a registered tax agent

    You can use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return for you. Registered tax agents are the only people allowed to charge a fee to prepare and lodge your tax return.

    A tax agent is a qualified professional who can help you prepare and lodge your tax return. You can engage the services of a tax agent either online or face-to-face. You are responsible for the tax records you provide your tax agent.

    You can easily keep these records and share these with your tax agent using the ATO App's myDeductions record-keeping tool.

    This record-keeping tool allows individuals and sole traders to keep track of general, worked-related and sole-trader deductions (and business income) in the one place during the income year. They can then email them to their tax agent.

    See also:

    On this page:

    Choosing an agent

    Tax agents must be registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). You can find a registered tax agent, or check whether a person is registered by visiting the TPB website.

    Using a registered tax agent will provide you with consumer protection as the TPB ensures they:

    • meet and maintain the required standard or qualifications and experience
    • comply with the Code of Professional Conduct

    When choosing an agent, you should discuss the service to be provided so you both know what to expect.

    See also:

    Due dates for lodging tax returns

    Most registered tax agents have a special lodgment program and can lodge returns for their clients after the usual 31 October deadline. The due date will also depend on your personal situation. Contact your tax agent for advice.

    If you're using a tax agent for the first time, or using a different tax agent, you need to contact them before 31 October to take advantage of their lodgment program due dates.

    Lodging prior years' tax returns

    If you haven't lodged a previous year's tax return, it's important to get up to date as soon as possible to avoid penalty.

    Your tax agent can prepare and lodge prior year tax returns for you, so contact them for advice.

    See also:

    Last modified: 01 Jul 2020QC 49329