Show download pdf controls
  • Refund of franking credits for not-for-profit entities

    Endorsed income tax exempt entities and deductible gift recipients (DGRs) can apply for a refund of franking credits. If your organisation is eligible and wants to apply for a refund of franking credits, you can use the application for refund of franking credits.

    On this page

    In this section


    Franking credit

    A franking credit is an amount of imputed company tax. In essence, it relates to income tax paid by a company on its profits. Your organisation will be entitled to a franking credit when it is paid a franked dividend or has an entitlement to a franked distribution (for example, from a trust).

    There are a number of different names for a 'franking credit'. Your statement may show it as:

    • an imputed tax credit
    • an imputed credit
    • a Class C imputation credit
    • an imputation tax credit
    • a Class C imputed credit
    • a franking credit
    • an Australian imputed tax credit at the rate of 30%.

    Franked dividend

    Franked dividends are payments made to shareholders on which the company has already paid tax. These payments carry franking credits.

    Dividend statement

    A dividend statement is sent to shareholders by companies to advise them of:

    • dividend amounts
    • whether they are franked or unfranked
    • the amount of franking credit
    • the tax file number (TFN) amounts withheld (if any).

    Distribution statement

    A distribution statement (also called a taxation statement) is sent to your organisation if it has invested in managed funds or unit trusts. The statement should show the amount of any franked dividends and franking credits.

    Your organisation may also receive distribution statements showing a franked distribution and the amount of franking credits attached or included in the distribution amount.

      Last modified: 21 Jun 2022QC 16343