Study and training support loans fortnightly tax table
Use this tax table for payments made from 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023.
You can use the Study and training support loans component lookup tool (XLSX 24KB)This link will download a file to quickly work out the fortnightly PAYG withholding component.
Using this tax table
You should use this tax table if you make fortnightly payments and your employee has:
- given you a Tax file number declaration or Withholding declaration
- answered yes to the question on whether they have a
- Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debt
- VET Student Loan (VSL) debt
- Financial Supplement (FS) debt
- Student Start-up Loan (SSL) debt (includes ABSTUDY SSL debts) or
- Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt
- fortnightly income of $1,860 or more, if they have claimed the tax-free threshold
- fortnightly income of $1,160 or more, if they have not claimed the tax-free threshold
- not completed a Medicare levy variation declaration claiming a reduction or exemption in the Medicare levy for having a spouse or dependants and low family income.
You must withhold the study and training support loans component from all of your employee's earnings, including taxable allowances, bonuses and commissions.
Do not withhold any amount for study and training support loans from lump sum termination payments.
You can also download and print the Study and training support loans fortnightly tax table (NAT 2185, PDF 1,089KB)This link will download a file.
Working out the withholding amount
To work out the amount you need to withhold:
- Use the Fortnightly tax table to calculate the fortnightly withholding amount for your employee's earnings, allowing for any tax offsets claimed.
- Use this study and training support loans fortnightly tax table to calculate the study and training support loans component to withhold.
- Add the study and training support loans component to the withholding amount.
- Withhold this amount from your employee's earnings.
Finding the study and training support loans fortnightly component
Input your employee's fortnightly earnings (ignoring any cents) into the green cell in column 1 Fortnightly earnings in the Study and training support loans component lookup tool (XLSX 24KB)This link will download a file.
Then use the appropriate column to find the study and training support loans component:
- use column 2 if your employee is either
- claiming the tax-free threshold
- a foreign resident
- use column 3 if your employee is not claiming the tax-free threshold.
Using a formula
The withholding amounts shown in this table can be expressed in a mathematical form. If you have developed your own payroll software package use the Statement of formulas for calculating study and training support loans components.
PAYG withholding publications
You can access all pay as you go (PAYG) withholding tax tables and other PAYG withholding publications quickly and easily on our website.
Use this tax table for payments made fortnightly where an employee has a study and training support loan.Last modified: 24 Jun 2022QC 69647