Show download pdf controls
  • Tax returns

    You can lodge the following tax returns via the PLS:

    • individual, including the short form for franking credit refund
    • company
    • superannuation fund
    • self-managed super fund
    • partnership
    • trust
    • attribution managed investment trust.

    You will receive an acknowledgement of lodgment when the return has been successfully submitted. The format may vary depending on the software you are using.

    We aim to finalise the majority of electronically lodged current year tax returns within 12 business days of receipt.

    Taxpayer's surname, date of birth and gender (only required for some forms) must match our records to allow lodgment of the Individual tax return to progress.

    Notification of change of name for individual taxpayers

    Notification of a name change can no longer be made through the lodgment of the individual tax return. The individual must contact us to verify their identity.

    Client names on individual tax returns lodged through the PLS must match our record.

    If a change of name has not been verified and updated in our records before lodging the tax return, the notice of assessment will display the taxpayer’s prior name as held by us.

    EFT direct refund

    Australian financial institution details must be entered when a credit (refund) is due for:

    • individual returns, including franking tax credits
    • trust returns
    • company returns
    • super fund returns
    • SMSF returns.

    Rejected direct refund request

    When a direct refund request is rejected, a standard notice of assessment with a refund cheque is issued.

    Refund of franking credit

    If you're only claiming a refund of franking credits (RFC) and your client does not need to lodge a full individual tax return, use the Individual tax return form but only complete the labels for the claim being made.

    Labels you may need to complete are:

    • dividends – unfranked amount
    • dividends – franked amount
    • dividends – franking credit
    • tax file number (TFN) amounts withheld from dividends.

    A taxpayer may also claim a refund of franking credits if they have had amounts withheld from their dividends because they did not provide a TFN.

    If an individual tax return needs to be submitted after the lodgment of an application for refund of franking credits, then it needs to be submitted as an amendment. Lodgment of the individual tax return as an original after the application of RFC will result in a rejected lodgment.

      Last modified: 05 Dec 2022QC 49409