15 January lodgment date
The head company of a consolidated group, including a new registrant, must lodge by 15 January 2017, if the following applies:
- Any member of the consolidated group is deemed to be a large/medium taxpayer in their latest year lodged.
- The consolidated group is deemed to be a large/medium taxpayer through the operation of the single entity rule.
- The 2016 tax return will be taxable.
- Payment of any tax due for these entities is required by 1 December 2016.
28 February lodgment date
The head company of a consolidated group, including a new registrant, must lodge by 28 February 2017 if:
- any member of the consolidated group is deemed to be a large/medium taxpayer in their latest year lodged
- the consolidated group is deemed to be a large/medium taxpayer through the operation of the single entity rule
- the 2016 tax return will be non-taxable.
If a member exits the consolidated group during the financial year, their due date will be 28 February.
Due dates for other consolidated groups
The head company of a consolidated group must lodge and pay any tax due by 31 March 2017 if the following applies – they:
- do not have a member who has been deemed a large/medium taxpayer in the latest year lodged
- do have a member who had total income of more than $2 million in the latest year lodged.
All other head companies of consolidated groups must lodge by 15 May 2017.
When a head company lodges a consolidated tax return for the first time, the due date for lodgment of that tax return is the latest date on which the group's Notification of formation of an income tax consolidated group form can be lodged.
Consolidated groups that operate under an approved SAP
Head companies of consolidated groups that operate under an approved SAP must lodge and pay (where applicable) in accordance with the SAP rules.
Tax Agent Portal reports for subsidiary members
For subsidiary members of consolidated groups, the Tax Agent Portal Income tax lodgment status report will show members as not lodged for the current year. This may occur even if there is no requirement to lodge as the head company has the lodgment obligation.
This is a known issue with the Tax Agent Portal for subsidiary members, and you do not need to take any action. The lodgment status is accurately shown on our internal processing system as not necessary, and will not affect your lodgment program performance calculation. We will not issue a lodgment demand letter for this obligation.
The lodgment and payment due dates for consolidated groups are affected by the types of members and whether the tax return will be taxable.