Watch our video below to understand the way we recruit and how to be a competitive candidate. Get tips on how to write a quality job application and resume, and how to prepare for a job interview.
Recruitment in the ATO
Media: Recruitment in the ATO
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odw8tia7External Link (Duration: 07:43)
You can also view this content in 3 shorter videos:
Recruitment in the ATO: How we recruit
Media: Recruitment in the ATO: How we recruit
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odih7jnyExternal Link (Duration: 02:47)
Recruitment in the ATO: Application writing tips
Media: Recruitment in the ATO: Application writing tips
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odih7oqnExternal Link (Duration: 04:06)
Preparation tips for short-listed candidates
Media: Recruitment in the ATO: Preparation tips for short-listed candidates
https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bi9or7odih7ic5External Link (Duration: 02:18)
Our work makes a real difference to the lives of Australians and contributes to our economic and social wellbeing.
To work on behalf of the Australian people, you must have the essential skills, knowledge and attributes that ensure we can give the highest standards to taxpayers.
All our staff have the following core skills to successfully deliver the administration of the tax, superannuation and registry systems:
- change fit – we have the ability to adapt to change, support change initiatives, and help others on their change journey
- client service –deliver products and services that put user needs first
- collaboration –build relationships, collaborate, and value the contribution of others
- communication –communicate clearly, actively listen, and respond with respect
- data literacy –analyse and use data to inform decisions
- digital first –use digital technology to maximise the user experience
- innovation –regularly implement new ideas to improve our work
- planning and delivery –manage work with integrity to deliver quality outcomes
- problem solving –define problems and develop solutions that make our services quicker and easier to use for all Australians.
Job specific skills and knowledge capabilities
Along with core skills that all jobs share, we identify job specific skills for each job.
These focus on the ‘doing’ or ‘how to’ aspects of work and describe the expertise needed for a role.
You might also be required to have particular knowledge capabilities to carry out specific work. These might include:
- frameworks and methodologies
- legislation and policies
- technologies, systems and tools.
You can find out about the required job specific skills and knowledge capabilities by:
- reading the job ad
- contacting the person listed on the job ad.
Traits and attributes
All of our staff should uphold the APS Values. The APS ValuesExternal Link articulate parliament's expectations of public servants.
The ATO's What we offer you build on the APS Values as the essential attributes, attitudes and mindset traits that our staff strive for in their everyday work experience.
To be eligible for employment with us, you must:
- be an Australian citizen at the time you apply
- always comply with your tax, super and registry obligations
- not work in the tax and super industry (during your employment)
- satisfy our integrity checks.
We offer reasonable adjustment so you can participate in our recruitment processes to the best of your ability.
We recommend you take a look at what we can offer you, what we look for and how to apply at Careers.
See our recruitment process so you're ready when you find a great job to apply for.
Check out our ATO careersExternal Link portal to:
- search for jobs
- set up job alerts
- submit your application.