Show download pdf controls
  • Tax reporting and functional currency

    The functional currency rules allow you to work out your taxable income or tax loss in your applicable functional currency. However, all tax reporting must still be expressed in A$. When reporting on your tax return or activity statement, work out the reported amounts in your applicable functional currency and then translate these amounts into A$.

    For tax reporting purposes, when a translation is needed for label amounts (other than the taxable income amount), use the same translation rate as the taxable income translation rate. If you don't have a taxable income amount in a given income year (that is, you have a tax loss), you should use the same rate you would have used to translate a taxable income amount into A$.

      Last modified: 22 Jul 2022QC 17626