Show download pdf controls
  • Tax file number

    All businesses need a tax file number (TFN).

    Sole traders

    If you're going to operate your business as a sole trader, your individual TFN is used for both your business and personal dealings with us.

    If you don't have an individual TFN, you will need to apply for one.

    Next step:

    Partnerships, companies, trusts and other organisations

    If you're going to operate your business through a partnership, company, trust or another type of organisation, it will need a separate TFN. You can apply for a business TFN:

    • online, using the Australian Business RegisterExternal Link – if you  
      • only need a TFN, select the Applying for other registrations tab, and then click Apply for a TFN for business link
      • need a TFN and an ABN, apply for both by selecting the Apply for an ABN link
    • using a registered tax agent
    • by lodging the Tax file number – application for companies, partnerships, trusts and other organisations (NAT 3799) form. You can order this form using our online publication ordering service for businessExternal Link.
    Last modified: 06 Jul 2017QC 31784