Show download pdf controls
  • How to report

    You can send STP data to us in one of the following ways:

    How you send STP information to us depends on the software you use. There are three types of solutions. After you run your payroll you can either send the STP information:

    • directly to us from your payroll software
    • through a third party sending service provider (SSP) which is integrated into your software
    • through a third party sending service provider (SSP) service which is outside your software.

    To find out what type of solution is suitable you can:

    Option one: Report through existing payroll or accounting solution

    You can report from your existing payroll or accounting software if it is STP-enabled.

    Next steps:

    • Talk to your software provider to find out what they offer and what you need to do
    • Read our Get ready and Start reporting checklists

    Option two: Choose STP-enabled payroll software

    If you don't currently use payroll software, or your current payroll software hasn't been STP-enabled, you should look for a suitable product.

    If you have 1–4 employees, and you do not need payroll software, you can use an alternative solution (see option three or option four).

    Next steps:

    • Talk to your registered tax or BAS agent to find out which payroll software product would best suit your business needs
    • Look at the STP product register to find STP softwareExternal Link

    Option three: Choose a no-cost or low-cost solution

    Employers with 1–4 employees are eligible to use the no-cost or low-cost solutions we have asked software developers to build. These solutions should cost $10 per month or less.

    Option four: Ask a third party to report for you

    You can ask a third party to report for you, for example a:

    • registered tax or BAS agent
    • payroll service provider.

    It is your obligation to make sure the third party will be reporting for you through STP-enabled software.

    If you use a registered tax or BAS agent, talk to them about your options. They may be able to report through STP for you, or work with you to outsource your payroll to a payroll service provider.

    Payroll service providers who are providing a STP reporting service must be registered as a tax or BAS agent. You can check their registration details with the Tax Practitioners BoardExternal Link.

    Next steps:

    Last modified: 19 Sep 2019QC 60137