Applying for an ABN
Registration for an Australian Business Number (ABN) and other tax obligations is not available online for government organisations.
A paper form, Application for ABN registration for government organisations (NAT 2946) will need to be completed. This form will allow government applications for:
- an ABN
- goods and services tax (GST)
- a fuel tax credit (FTC)
- pay as you go (PAYG) withholding
- a tax file number (TFN).
- To request the form you can phone us on 13 28 66.
- This form, when completed, needs to be signed by the authorised contact and posted to the address listed on the form, or faxed to us on 1300 130 905.
- Visit For Government AgenciesExternal Link for more information on how other entities can apply for an ABN online.
Once registered, ABN details will be stored in the Australian Business Register (ABR). If ABN details changeExternal Link, the agency must notify the Registrar within 28 days of becoming aware of that change.
If you are an authorised contact for the ABN and are moving roles or leaving the organisation, it is important that you update the contact information.
For more information on registrations including forms, cancellations and changing your details you can phone us on 13 28 66.
When applying for an ABN or updating details in the ABR, it is important that the information you provide is true and correct.
Making a false or misleading statement may result in a penalty.
See also:Government organisations must use the ABR's Application for ABN registration for government organisations.