This is the third annual report on corporate tax transparency, which informs the public debate about tax policy, particularly in relation to the corporate tax system.
This report is based on the 2015–16 financial year tax returns of some of the largest corporate entities operating in Australia. It also describes changes that have occurred to key headline figures for the population.
Legislation specifies the type of information we can provide in the report. It is important to note that the aggregate figures cannot reflect the complexity of the tax system, the relationships between entities, the calculations behind the numbers or the extent and nature of any ATO activity.
The corporate tax transparency population includes:
- Australian public and foreign-owned entities with total income of $100 million or more
- Australian-owned resident private entities with total income of $200 million or more
- entities that have petroleum resource rent tax (PRRT) payable.
The 2015-16 report was corrected post its publication in December 2017. Two entities have been removed from the report and the figures for one entity were revised. The report on data.gov.au has been updated, however the figures and data throughout the 2015-16 report have not.
Find out about:
- Interpreting the results
- Total income tax payable
- Population overview
- Net losses and nil tax payable
- Petroleum resource rent tax
- Prior-year income tax returns processed after 1 September 2016
- Australian-owned resident private entities