ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Adjustments, credits and refunds

What to do if you've overpaid or underpaid luxury car tax (LCT).

Last updated 9 March 2017

If you've overpaid or underpaid LCT you can:

  • if registered for GST and LCT, make an adjustment on your BAS
  • if not registered for GST and LCT, claim an LCT credit.

In some circumstances primary producers and tourism operators are eligible for a refund of part of the LCT they have paid on a luxury car. Public institutions (museums, galleries and libraries) that are registered for GST and endorsed as a deductible gift recipient are entitled to make an adjustment on their BAS at label 1F for the LCT they have paid on a luxury car.

Find out how to make adjustments on your BAS if a change of circumstances occurs when calculating luxury car tax.

Credits for luxury car tax can only be claimed if you're not registered for goods and services tax.