ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Registering and dealing with AusIndustry

Last updated 20 November 2022

Register with Industry, Innovation and Science

If your company is an R&D entity and you want to claim an R&D tax offset in your company's tax return, you must first register your R&D activities with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (who act for Innovation and Science Australia). You must register your R&D activities:

  • for every income year you want to claim the offset
  • within 10 months of the end of your company's income year
  • before claiming the R&D tax offset in your company tax return.

Although the R&D tax incentive replaced the R&D tax concession for activities and expenditure in income years beginning on or after 1 July 2011, the R&D tax concession still applies to activities and expenditure in income years that started before 1 July 2011.

Research Service Providers (RSPs) must also register annually with the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.

More information about registering, including requesting an Advance Finding, and the special arrangements for registering R&D activities performed by members of consolidated groups, can be found on the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science website.External Link

Effect of AusIndustry Findings

Findings made by AusIndustry bind us in making and amending assessments. We must use our amendment powers to give effect to Findings. We must also give effect to any decision:

  • made by AusIndustry on internal review
  • about a Finding made by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) or a court.

If a Finding removes entitlement to some or all of the R&D tax incentive you have already claimed, request a self-amendment to adjust for the amount that can't be claimed.

If you don't amend your claim, we'll start an audit to give effect to the Finding. We won't start the audit for 28 days to allow time for you to lodge a self-amendment request.

We are required to give immediate effect to a Finding and this is not deferred by your request for an internal review by AusIndustry, or any AAT or court action. Self-amend once you receive the Finding.

Concerns repaying your debt

If you have concerns about repaying the debt, contact us on 13 28 66 so we can help.

We also offer this help if you are experiencing debt concerns while the original Finding is under an internal review by AusIndustry. We consider help after the self-amendment request has been made.