ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Register your NFP

Outlines the registrations you may need so your organisation can access tax concessions and comply with tax obligations.

Last updated 26 March 2020

Your organisation must have an ABN if you are:

  • required to register for tax obligations
  • seeking endorsement as a registered charity for tax concessions
  • seeking endorsement as a deductible gift recipient (DGR)

To comply with your organisation's tax obligations, your organisation may need to register for:

  • goods and services tax (GST)
  • fringe benefits tax (FBT)
  • pay as you go (PAYG) withholding
  • fuel tax credits
  • a tax file number if you are required to lodge income tax returns.

See also:

Get an ABN

When you apply for your ABN you will be asked to identify your organisation’s entity and organisation type. Selecting the correct entity or organisation type is important. If you select the incorrect option on your application, you may need to apply for a new ABN for your organisation.

For example, if your organisation is a single entity, it should register for one ABN, regardless of the number of enterprises that it carries on. With the exception of a partnership arrangement, if your club or charity is a collection of separate entities carrying on one or more enterprises, each entity in your organisation should register for a separate ABN.

If your organisation is a subsidiary of a governing body, we advise that you discuss ABN registration with your governing body.

Next steps: