It's important to regularly check that your not-for-profit (NFP) organisation has good governance and you are meeting your tax and super obligations. You also need to check that you continue to be entitled to:
- deductible gift recipient (DGR) endorsement
- income tax exemption
- other tax concessions.
To do this, you should complete a self-review of your NFP organisation either:
- every 12 months
- when your organisation makes changes to its governing rules or structure and activities.
The six worksheets detailed below will help you complete a self-review. You may need to complete more than one worksheet depending on the entitlements you are claiming.
You must also:
- write to us if your organisation is no longer eligible for DGR endorsement or income tax exemption
- notify us if there are changes to your key personnel, organisation name or other Australian business number (ABN) registration details.
Penalties or a referral to prosecution may apply if you don't notify us of changes to your eligibility or registration details.
Not-for-profit good governance checklist
All not-for-profit organisations should complete the self-governance checklist below. This will help you review your status as an NFP organisation and manage your tax and super compliance risks.
Income tax exemption worksheets
The following worksheets will help determine if your not-for-profit organisation is eligible for an income tax exemption.
Select the worksheet that applies to your organisation's structure, registration or activities:
- Income tax status review worksheet for self-assessing non-profit organisations (NAT 7414) – for a community service organisation, professional association, business association, cultural society or social society
- Endorsement review worksheet for income-tax exempt charities (NAT 74110) – for a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC)
- Working out your club's income tax status – for a sporting organisation.
Deductible gift recipient (DGR) endorsement worksheets
The following worksheets will help you to work out whether your NFP organisation is still entitled to endorsement as a deductible gift recipient.
Select the worksheet that applies to your organisation:
- Worksheet 1: Review of a DGR endorsed as a whole (NAT 11685)
- Worksheet 2: Review of a DGR endorsed for the operation of a fund, authority or institution it owns or includes (NAT 11686).
- Starting an NFP – information for not-for-profit organisations