ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Cancelling business registrations

Find out what you need to know about business registrations when you close a business.

Last updated 11 July 2023

You must notify us of changes to your details on the Australian Business Register (ABR) within 28 days.

If you permanently close your business, you need to cancel your ABNExternal Link.

Before cancelling your ABN, first ensure you have met all the lodgment, reporting and payment obligations you have to the government agencies you deal with. Your tax obligations may include lodging activity statements, PAYG withholding reports and taxable payments annual reports, repaying refunds of GST credits and paying outstanding tax debts.

Cancelling your ABN will also cancel:

  • any authorised relationship between an ABN and a myGovID
  • your registration for GST, luxury car tax, wine equalisation tax and fuel tax credits.

If you need to cancel a registration for any of the following, and not the ABN, then you should work out which registrations you need and what you don’t:

  • goods and services tax (GST)
  • fuel tax credits (FTC)
  • luxury car tax (LCT)
  • wine equalisation tax (WET)
  • pay as you go (PAYG) withholding.