You're eligible to use the Small Business Superannuation Clearing House (clearing house) service if your business has either:
- 19 or fewer employees, or
- annual aggregated turnover of less than $10 million.
You must meet one of these eligibility criteria each time you use the service.
If your circumstances change and you're no longer eligible, you will need to make other arrangements to meet SuperStream requirements.
Watch the video for more details about the clearing house.
Media: Small Business Superannuation Clearing House https://tv.ato.gov.au/ato-tv/media?v=bd1bdiubk8ig7hExternal Link (Duration: 1:44)
The clearing house is a free online service provided by the Australian Government through the Australian Taxation Office.
You can use the clearing house to pay super for all your employees through a single payment. The clearing house will then distribute the money to each employee's super fund according to your instructions.
With the clearing house, you can:
- nominate a regular amount for each employee or change the amount when you make a payment
- meet your super guarantee (SG) obligations when your payment and instructions are accepted by the clearing house by following the clearing house terms and conditions
- pay online to meet SuperStream requirements
- see records of your past super contributions.
You must register the first time you use the clearing house. To do this, you'll need to provide information about:
- your business and employees
- your employees’ choice of fund
- your default fund – this is where payments will go if the employee doesn't choose a fund
- anyone authorised to use the clearing house on your behalf, such as a bookkeeper.
Print the clearing house privacy statement and give this to your employees.
Using Online services for business
If you're a business or an individual employer with an Australia business number (ABN), you can access the clearing house through Online services for business:
- Select Employees.
- Select Small Business Super Clearing House.
You can authorise someone else (such as a staff member) to use the clearing house on behalf of your business. You can authorise them in Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM)External Link and customise their permissions in Access Manager.
Accessing Online services for business
To access Online services for business, you will need to sign in using myGovID.
If you’re new to online services, you will first have to set up your myGovID, then link it to your business in RAM. For more information, see Accessing online services with myGovID and RAM.
Using ATO online services via myGov
If you're an individual employer with an ABN or a withholding payer number (WPN), you can access the clearing house using your myGov account linked to ATO online services.
Individuals with a WPN include people who employ domestic staff.Sign in to myGov
Non-individuals with a WPN include school canteens, sporting clubs and embassies.
If you represent a non-individual with a WPN, you can:
- register for the clearing house by phoning 1300 660 048
- complete the SBSCH – Employee list spreadsheet (XLSX, 57KB)This link will download a file
- email the spreadsheet to SBSCHenquiries@ato.gov.au – include the words ‘WPN HOLDER’ in the email subject line.
Due date and scheduled maintenance
The quarterly due dates for super guarantee payments are:
- 28 October
- 28 January
- 28 April
- 28 July.
For more information, visit Super payment due dates.
The processing cut-off date for our annual office closure is 5:30 pm AEDT on 11 December 2023. We will process all super payments with instructions received after this date from 2 January 2024.
Our office and contact centres close at noon on Friday 22 December 2023 and re-open at 8:00 am on Tuesday 2 January 2024, local time.
When you submit your payments and instructions in the clearing house, consider the impact of planned system maintenance on processing times.
- Work out how much super you need to pay for all your employees.
- Access the clearing house through Online services for business or ATO online services.
- Enter instructions about how to distribute payment to each employee's super fund, noting the payment reference number (PRN).
- Make a single electronic payment to the clearing house for all your employees including the PRN.
- The clearing house distributes the payment to each employee's super fund according to your instructions.
Note: Payments may take up to 7 business days to be transferred through the ATO and super fund before they reach the employee's super fund account.
If your employee's details are incorrect, their super fund may:
- reject the payment
- send the payment back to us.
If the payment is sent back to us, we'll contact you to update the information within 7 business days.
We will resend the payment to the fund if you correct the information. If you don't update the information, the payment will be sent back to you.
If your employee's details change after you submit a payment instruction, but before it's processed, you'll need to:
- update the employee's details
- delete the payment instruction
- lodge a new payment instruction.
For help and support:
- ask our community-driven forum ATO CommunityExternal Link
- phone us on 1300 660 048.