Our calculator will take between 2 and 5 minutes to use.
The Foreign income conversion calculator will convert your foreign income into Australian dollars, using either a specific or an average rate of exchange for a range of countries. It can be used for the 2013–14 to 2022–23 income years.
The calculator results are based on the information you provided at the time of calculation. You should use these results as an estimate and for guidance purposes only.
This calculator does not determine your eligibility to a deduction.
If your rate of exchange of the country where you earned the foreign income is not listed in the calculator, you may use another exchange rate, for example from a bank, to calculate the amount to declare.
The calculator can use either:
- the annual average rate of exchange for a range of countries
- the conversion rate you provide.
To understand your tax situation you will need to work out if you are an Australian or foreign resident for tax purposes.
From 1 January 2020, we use exchange rates supplied from the Reserve Bank of Australia.
If you have a Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), VET Student Loan (VSL) or Trade Support Loan (TSL) debt you need to:
- report the income you earned outside of Australia, even if you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes
- use the annual average rate of exchange for the Australian income year. If your currency is not listed in the calculator, you may use another exchange rate, for example from a bank.
For more information, see Overseas obligations when repaying loans.
Details of your foreign income.
You can't use this calculator if:
- you are an early balancer operating on a substituted accounting period
- you receive foreign income from business activities, or
- you are a bank or similar financial institution.
However, you can still use this calculator if you are an Australian non-resident for tax purposes and have a HELP, VET or TSL debt and earning foreign income.
Find out more about converting foreign income to Australian dollars.Use this calculator to convert foreign income into Australian dollars for the 2013-14 to 2022-23 income years.